Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Iranian Prez Bans Music from the West

TEHRAN, Iran — Hard-line President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has banned all Western music from Iran's state radio and TV stations — an eerie reminder of the 1979 Islamic revolution when popular music was outlawed as "un-Islamic" under Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.
Today, though, the sounds of hip-hop can be heard blaring from car radios in Tehran's streets, and Eric Clapton's "Rush" and the Eagles' "Hotel California" regularly accompany Iranian broadcasts. Full Story

Other excerpts:

The ban applies to state-run radio and TV. But Iranians with satellite dishes can get broadcasts originating outside the country.

He also has issued stinging criticisms of Israel, calling for the Jewish state to be "wiped off the map" and describing the Nazi Holocaust as a "myth."

The council has also issued a ban on foreign movies that promote "arrogant powers," an apparent reference to the United States.
The probibitions mirror those imposed in neighboring Afghanistan during the Taliban regime, which imposed a strict version of Islamic law, including a ban on music and film. The Taliban was ousted by a U.S.-led coalition in late 2001.


You know I am THANKFUL and BLESSED to live in a FREE COUNTRY!!! It sure is awesome!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

12 20 05

Yeah, at least we live in the freest country Suzie:) Although, this Patriot Act stuff really bothers me. I think I will do a post about that before I go back to bed. Have a great day:)

12/20/2005 9:18 AM  
Blogger Dionne said...

Rebekah posted on this also. I left this comment: "I was watching something on Fox News and it was interesting. The guy was saying that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad lives in a box. And in that box everyone thinks like him so he really doesn't realize how "out there" he is for his beliefs about believing the holocaust is a myth, etc. But Iran is definitely a problem and I'm not sure what we're going to do about it."

And I'm thankful we live in a free country also. In homeschooling I talk with my kids about what it's like in other countries where you don't have freedoms and we pray for them. I want my kids to realize what an awesome country we live in.

12/20/2005 2:09 PM  
Blogger Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

Disa, thanks for commenting over here...as always just now finding it. I rarely check my yahoo address...will have to give you my primary email.

As far as the Patriot Act as long as President Bush is in office, I feel comfortable w/this, if the Liberals were the majority I would definitely have a problem. If it means giving up alittle civil liberties or not...I want our intelligences to have the authority to eavesdrop on terrorists domestically to foriegn countries or within this country...to avoid an attack. Sure not worry about my library card either. I feel some things are required to be classified...meaning secret! Now with the ACLU and not to forget the NY Times which both should be done away with in my opinion. I support the Patriot Act.
Will be over though...(smiling) to read your post...

12/22/2005 12:36 PM  
Blogger Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

Hi Ms Chatterbox, did not catch that on Fox, however I agree about Iran and what we are going to do with them. Many of the young people want to be free and love the Western way. It makes me wonder how this with the music will affect things.

You are awesome to homeschool your children like you do. Mine are grown now, but they are very well informed on the world and foreign affairs. I feel it is important nowadays especially to know what is happening throughout the world.

I also pray for the people living under dictorships and evil regimes. Also I praise God for allowing our family to live in the United States of America as well as praying constantly for our President. I believe all children should have this right to pray and know about living in a free world along w/ all the many blessings we have here.

Thanks for commenting over here.

12/22/2005 12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home